Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day One: Book of Kells and Dublin Castle

I am extremely exhausted, but I have really enjoyed our first day in Dublin!

We were originally supposed to go on a Dublin motor coach tour today, but we will be doing that tomorrow. Instead, we had some time to explore Grafton Street, a pedestrian shopping area in downtown Dublin. Ryan, Meagan, and I stumbled upon the famous Bewley’s CafĂ©. The coffee was a little too strong for my taste, but I was in desperate need of caffeine and it did the job. After that, we wandered around Saint Stephen’s Green, a beautiful park area that I will want to see again – that is if the weather continues to be as great as it was today.

After our little journey we rejoined the group and went to see the Book of Kells at Trinity College. The campus was really gorgeous; I just wish that Point Park could have a campus like that. It’s not too late to change the university’s expansion plans…. But I really enjoyed all the artwork from the Book of Kells. It was all so intricate and colorful, it was hard to imagine that most of it had been done over 1000 years ago.

At this time, my
caffeine was starting to wear off, but we had one last stop for the afternoon – Dublin Castle. I actually listened to the tour guide (which is surprising for me normally, let alone when I’m delirious from sleep deprivation) and I really enjoyed the tour! I really loved the back gardens and the ballroom, where the Irish president gets inaugurated. My camera was dying, but luckily I was able to get plenty of pictures!

We settled into our ap
artments after our tour and then went to dinner at Dublin’s oldest pub, The Brazen Head. I enjoyed an amazing three-course meal that consisted of a Greek salad, salmon with carrots and two kinds of potatoes (which I’m definitely not used to) and bread pudding. Of course I also had to have a Guiness with my first real meal in Ireland. I was definitely very satisfied and full after my first sit-down hearty Irish meal.

It's only a quart
er to 10 here, but I'm exhausted and have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. It's going to feel so good to sleep on a bed....

In the courtyard of Dublin Castle


The garden behind the Dublin Castle

The Brazen Head Pub, where I had my first Guiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment