Monday, May 17, 2010

Day Nine: Red FM and Blarney Castle

Today has been great, but I really wish we didn't have to leave Cobh tomorrow!

First, we went to Red FM, a radio station that is like KISS FM back in Pittsburgh. We met with Grainne Murnan, the advertising and sales manager, which I was more interested in since I'm an ad/PR major and not a broadcast major. I thought it was weird because the radio station license says that everything must target a specific audience, ages 15-34, so even the advertisements must do that. She also talked about the company's specific problem with creating their brand image when it was first created and the different promotions they do. Then we also talked to Elish Barry who does the station's Breakfast Show three times a week and works on all the Irish broadcasts. Apparently a percentage of Red FM's programming must be in Gaelic, even though some people who work there can't even understand the language. I think it's very interesting the lengths the Irish government has gone to in order to preserve the Irish language. Finally, we met with Colin O'Sullivan, the program director, and saw the station's control room. Even though I'm not a broadcast major, I still really enjoyed our visit. I particularly liked hearing about the different promotions that the company does.

Next, we went to Blarney Castle and Blarney Woolen Mills. It was so fun! The stairs up to the Blarney Stone were a little narrow and crooked, but it was worth it. There was a beautiful view at the top and I kissed the Blarney Stone! Now I'm eloquent, according to the legend. I also enjoyed the shops; we almost didn't have enough time to at eat lunch since we spent so much time in there!

We have the rest of the night off, so I plan on going out to dinner with Meagan and Ryan then packing since we'll be leaving Cobh tomorrow. Next stop: Killarney!


The control room at Red FM.


Me in front of Blarney Castle!


Me kissing the Blarney Stone!

No comments:

Post a Comment